Thursday, February 24, 2011

Lessons from Third Grade

I have a third grader who doesn't like to read. (I'm a writer and he doesn't like to read, I'm also a chef and he is the world's pickiest child...ah, my little changeling.) His teacher and I have been working hard to help him with his reading comprehension, especially as there are some important standardized test coming up.

His teacher recently told me about some techniques that they use in class so that I can use the same at home with him. One was the prompts for creating a summary:

Sombody...wanted...but...so...then.

I had to laugh. For all the hundreds of posts out there on how to write a summary (read: query) the answer was in Third Grade the whole time.

7 comments:

  1. my second grade daughter never wanted to read, and then she discovered Junie B. Jones and her nose is always in a book... is it maybe he just hasn't found his "thing"? :o) best of luck w/this~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to chuckle...out of the mouths of babes (in a roundabout way.) Have you had your son's eyes checked? One of my nieces fussed about reading, pulled every trick in the book to avoid reading. Come to find out, she couldn't see properly, knew she couldn't, and didn't want glasses. Well, she got glasses (really cool ones, so that worked out) and went on to become the family's 'reading queen' and switched to contac lenses when she got somewhat older. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. What great writing advice for writers. Hope that everything works out with your son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this! Must write it down. What an easy way to think of a summary! It's a tough one to get some boys to read, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve. Go to the library and check out every Bill Peet book you can find. They are funny, short, well-illustrated and boys LIKE them. This might get him at least discovering that reading can be fun instead of annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGosh, that is genius in its simplicity. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, I love that! I've never heard it summed up that way. You're not alone. My fifth graders don't like to read at all, and it pains me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really funny, and totally true!

    ReplyDelete