In the course of researching, I came across a few web-based versions of the Myers-Briggs personality test (based on research by Karl Jung). This test breaks down personality into four main categories:
- Whether you get your energy from inside or outside sources (Extraverted or Introverted)
- How you taking in information (Sensing or iNtuitive )
- How you make decisions (Thinking or Feeling )
- How you operate on a day-to-day basis (Judging or Perceiving)
I thought it would be interesting to take the test, answering the questions the way I thought my MC would answer. By reading the summary of her personality type, it gave me a little more parameters for her development. Although I would never develop a character based soley on this, but I did feel a bit more tuned into the psychology of my character (incidentally, she is IFSJ which means she is introverted, feeling, sensing and judging).
If you are interested in trying this out (either for yourself or your characters):
- Similar Minds has a number of personality tests, including a short version of the test Jung here
- The Personality Page, which has a lot of info, including career and relationship info relevant to the types. There's also a test, perhaps more complete than the free tests you can find) which is $5 per test.
- A easy-to-use grid of learning styles based on the 16 types from SUNY Oswego here