Monday, October 4, 2010

Pantserfail

Remember when I said I was changing teams from Plotter to Pantser? Yeah, well, I lied. Boy, did I lie.

Because I'm guessing that Pansters don't make spreadsheets like this when working out their characters:


I don't know...maybe they do (hey pantsers -- do you?). But I'm fairly certain they don't do this:



This is a screen shot of the Storylines program from the Writer's Cafe software, which uses virtual index cards that you can move up, down, all around. You can have multiple plot lines. I use it for the main and subplots (blue and green) and to keep track of my "hit points" or important moments or ideas in the story (that's the red line), my relevant research (purple line), and emotions (orange lines). Key scene cards are blue and the acts are denoted by the black markers at the top.

What can I say? Try as I might, I couldn't work by the seat of my pants. I just like my spreadsheets and charts too darn much. I need them. I feel more comfortable when I have a road map for my journey. And after today, I feel more energy than fear, which is a good thing. So I'll hand back my temporary Pantser membership card. Thanks for having me! Maybe I'll join you again some other time.

14 comments:

  1. LOL. Don't feel bad. Everyone works a different way. When you find that way, it makes writing and other aspects of everything so much more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who is something of a pantster, I can say that no, they don't make spreadsheets. But I'm very impressed with yours. Nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those two charts are amazing. I wish I could plan out my plot points and characters before writing. I have have major plot points in mind, but it's really difficult for me to think up of a plot before writing.

    Good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take that membership card back, thank you, and try not to laugh behind my hand at the organized spreadsheet diagraming outlining right-brained plotter who thought she could be a pantser. Never in a million years can someone who fills out a spreadsheet like THAT be a pantser. It would kill you. Don't try it again. Stay where you are comfortable :) I like how you say you have energy instead of fear. I on the other hand, would feel fear if I had to do a spreadsheet for my story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha ha what kind of spreadsheet would you have made if you did not start this WIP as a pantser? just wondering?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know, right?! I'm incurable. Once a geek...

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Those are some spreadsheets. Wish I was that organised in my thought process. I might get that chapter written!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm normally very organized and a listmaker, but I haven't been able to do it in my writing.

    Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh. My. Goodness. I'm jealous and very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Defo not a panster! I used Writers' Cafe at one point, too, when I had a complicated plot. It worked really well for me! Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa. I'm such a pantster! The only time I've tried to make a chart like that it was on the wall, and I got bored halfway through and painted a picture. Regretted it later . . .

    Where did you get that software? Maybe I should give it a try. Because my outline and I aren't speaking at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm thinking Writer's Cafe is British (pretty sure it was on my Amazon UK wish list a few years ago). The biggest problem I have with it is that it comes with a Solitaire game. Way too distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. yep, still a plotter! haha I am somehwere in the middle. I do a loose outline, so I straddle both sides!

    ReplyDelete