Friday, October 8, 2010

Getting random all up in my head

* The temperature has finally dropped here in San Antonio. Sort of. It is in the 50s at night, which makes me want to break out the gourds and autumn leaves to decorate. BUT, it is still climbing into the high 80s during the day. So putting out the autumn stuff just feels wrong.

* My son, after 8 years of food aversions and extremely picky eating, has finally turned a corner. We've had three months of Occupational Therapy to help with the food and sensory issues and I can't believe how well it's worked. Wednesday, he ate AN ENTIRE MCDONALD'S CHEESEBURGER! I almost wept. He's gained 4 pounds in three months (which is almost as much as he's gained in year). Last night, we all ate the same dinner (and it did not involve pizza). I hold out hope that I might actually start enjoying cooking again (which would be good, given that I am a chef).

* My daughter, now six, must have read some "Being an Effective Listener" text somewhere because she now rephrases EVERYTHING I say to her. Last night's exchange -- Me: I bought you some new dresses for school. DD: You mean you went to the store and picked out things for me to wear so I'll look nice for my teacher? She does this all the time. The technique is supposed to make a person feel validated and understood. It doesn't. It's driving me crazy.

* My husband's family has just had some potentially devestating news involving the big C. We're reeling from this and, in truth, it's all I can think about this week (hence, this weirdly random post). I lost my father to a horrible battle with cancer four years ago so I'm really struggling, trying to put those memories aside so that I can be positive and supportive for my husband. It's hard.

* Because of this family development, it looks like we are going to be travelling back to Scotland sooner than expected. Which means that I've had to put aside the novel and get to work on another serial to help pay for the trip. I just wrote the first chapter of my WIP on Tuesday and was starting to get my groove on, so...meh. I'm so not feeling the love for the serial right now, but it's got to happen.

I don't usually post personal stuff (especially a strange list of disconnected thoughts). Even now, it feels weird to put so much of myself out there, but my brain is whirling so much I can't think of anything else. And although I know I don't have to say this (because you are all warm, wonderful people who already do this), I'll just leave you with one more thought:
Cherish the people you love. No one knows what the future holds. Don't wait to share time with your family and friends. Share it now.

11 comments:

  1. good news about your little boy. Good luck with everything and my thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your son's expanding palette.

    My thoughts are with your family at this time.

    I'm sure you have other things on your mind at the moment, but there's an award for you on my blog.
    http://mavieenviolet.blogspot.com/2010/10/some-general-randomness.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about the things going on with your family. That's great advice you gave. Thank you and my thoughts are with you.

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Jenna--this is similar to my post today. Must be something in the air. So sorry to hear about your family situation--here's hoping for the best.

    Have to admit, I was giggling about your daughter, though. That's hilarious... :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a rough week, sorry to hear that. Thanks for sharing your heart--I know it's hard to do, but it's better than keeping everything bottled up. At least your kiddos seem to be doing well. Hope all gets better for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations with your son. I'm sorry that things to be really rough this week though so I wanted to let you know that my thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing like a child to teach us patience! Hope everything else works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for your positive thoughts. I am blessed to have a great family (from my kids who keep me in stitches even when I'm down, to an extended family of loving, lovely people). And now I have all of YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats with your son! My friends son is the exact same way..only this little boy will only eat chicken nuggets and fries once in a while. He has never had pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs, salad, fish..nothing! Only chicken nuggets for all three meals! Maybe the occupational therapist could help them too!
    I am loving the cooler weather at night! I just wish it would last longer in the day as well! Have a wonderful weekend!
    -April

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations with your son -- and I will be keeping your husband's family in my prayers. Dealing with cancer is always so, so devastating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hang in there with all the crazy and worries! And I laughed about the rephrasing your daughter does - that would drive me around the bend too! Take care.

    ReplyDelete