Thursday, April 15, 2010

For this reason

I've been rather iffy on the whole blog thing. I know I'm supposed to do it to build my platform, but that feels a bit forced to me. Recently, I've been questioning whether it is worth it at all.

The response to my last post showed me that it is, and not for the "supposed to" reasons. We all know that writing can be a tough business. Sometimes,when the rejections come rolling in, it can be a downright lonely and soul-destroying business (and I've had a few lonely, soul-destroying weeks). But on Wednesday, a bunch of strangers with nothing to gain said some really nice things about my writing. It cheered me up a lot, so I went and said some nice things to other writers. It made me feel like a part of a community. It made me feel like a writer. And it made me feel like these strangers weren't strangers, but friends that I have a lot in common with. And it is for this reason that I will continue to blog.

So, thank you to my lovely new friends.

And while you are here, maybe you can give me your writerly opinion. Take a look at this sentence:

Pages clutched in an outraged hand.
What do you think of this line? Can a hand be outraged? I was thinking a hand could show that someone was outraged (white knuckles, tension, etc.) but I'm not sure if this is one of those weird lines that just doesn't work. I'd love to hear your thoughts...

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE being part of the blogging/writing community. I'm glad you're staying :) As for the sentence, no a hand cannot be outraged. You could say Pages clutched in a white-knuckled hand. or Pages clenched in a white-knuckled hand. But body parts should never have emotions attached to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And not everyone who loved your piece made it over here to tell you in person! Be brave and go find the folks who gave you props on my blog and thank them. There's another good dozen friends ready to be made.

    I've been there with the "Is this just a big time-suck?" with blogging, and discovered the camaraderie makes the hard days far easier.

    Regarding your line--I'm iffy. Maybe mix a physical description WITH the interpretation and I'd buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can wave a dismissive hand, but for outrage I think I'd go with white-knuckled or something. And I wanted to let you know I'm over here following you, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do like the line, but think it would fit better in a poem than in prose.

    Maybe you could say he (or she) clutched pages, outraged, in his hands, his knuckles turning as white as the blank paper.

    (or something!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenna, I too wondered the same thing at one time. I didn't start blogging because of a platform, for business purposes, or even because I had something to say. I started because a small group of writers talked me into doing it for one little month for Nano, so we could all track our progress in posts and then comment on them. I had every intention of closing it down in December, but I started making other writing friends. (they found me from my nano friends more established blogs) I didn't post often. By January I had a few more, and the dialogue we exchanged was meaningful. More importantly I started reading and following other blogs (once I figured out how to actually follow...and using the google reader helps save time) because there are so many talented, sharing, understanding, writing bloggers.
    I have a lot of real life friends, and a busy social life, but honestly, they just don't understand my writerly life. This blogging writer's community has been a wonderful experience, full of support and fellowship and thought provoking topics. Yes, it does take up time, and I need to streamline more, gain more efficiency. The more followers, the harder it becomes to keep in touch with all of them. Sometimes I feel guilty if I don't get around to everyone that I adore. I want to give them my support, read their brilliant posts. But I do my best, just as we all do, with the time we have. I cannot imagine giving up this community of wonderful writers. I feel blessed everyday to have found all of you.

    Okay, that long winded speech is over. As for your sentence, I agree with my friends above.

    I'm glad you are staying with us.

    ~Lola

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I figured. You know when you get a line in your head and can't get it out, even though you know it is totally wrong. Thanks everyone for the confirmation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to know others question the usefulness of blogging. I've been there a time or two myself. Some days I wonder if anybody exists in the vast expanse of the writer's world. And then someone makes a comment that shows me I'm not alone. Keep blogging. It's a connection to others who share the same struggles. I think those who commented about your sentence might have a point. But you already knew the answer, didn't you?

    ReplyDelete